Friday, October 16, 2009

Travel Purse Tutorial

Inspired by Sew, Mama, Sew! I am posting this tutorial.

This is my first attempt at a tutorial, I hope it makes sense and that you give it a try.

I call this a travel purse because I first made it to travel with. Small enough to stay out of the way of suitcases and seat belts, yet big enough to hold my cell phone, id's, debit card and ticket.

Since I have returned from my trip I haven't put this little gem away- it's great to keep slung across my body, being a mom always on the go all my stuff is there without the hassle of a bulky purse.

Supplies needed:
2 corresponding fabrics ( I use scraps or fat quarters)
thread
button
bias tape (optional- I don't use it)

this picture is the fabric for a purse and matching mini wallet, it's also a different fabric than the purse made below. The first three rows on your left are what you will have once all fabric is cut out.

STEP #1: CUT OUT YOUR FABRIC
Out of fabric #1 (outside fabric)
cut 1 rectangle 5" x 13" for the purse body
cut a 2 1/2" x 4' strip for the strap (you may need to cut several small 2 1/2" strips and sew them together to make it 4 foot long)

Fabric #2 (lining fabric)
cut 1 rectangle 5" x 13" fort he lining
cut 1 rectangle 1" x 7 1/2" for the loop closure
cut 1 rectangle 3 1/4" x 5" for the inside fabric

STEP #2 MAKE PURSE STRAP
Sew together any fabric to make the 2 1/2" x 4' piece of fabric.
Iron one side, the long way, about 1/4"
do the same with the other side
Fold in half and iron- see picture below

Sew down each side of the strap a little less than 1/4" form the edge
Iron strap nice and flat
Set strap aside
STEP #3 POCKET
Sew the bias tape across the top of the pocket, see pic below. If you want you can fold down the pocket fabric, eliminating the need for bias tape. I actually have found I prefer to fold the top of the pocket down and sew it like a hem, no more bias tape.

Fold the lining fabric in half lengthwise, right side together, and iron.

Sew pocket to the right side of lining fairly close to the bottom of the lining where it was ironed. I use a zig zap stitch around the 3 sides.
STEP #4 SEWING STRAPS ON AND OUTSIDE OF PURSE
Take your outside shell piece of fabric and fold it right sides together.
With the fabric fold at the bottom draw a line 3/4" from the top.
Moving left to right along the line you just drew: 3/4" from the right side draw a vertical line
keep moving right: another 3/4" draw a vertical line (please note in the picture I worked right to left but found I liked the strap better when I did the reverse)
Flip fabric and repeat.
with a razor or sharp scissors cut along the horizontal line between the two vertical lines you drew. See picture below.

With fabric folded right sides together sew along sides of purse.
Turn right sides out.

Fold over top of purse 3/4" so the hole you cut is on top. again your hole will be on the opposite side than this picture
Iron Take you completed strap and place it up through the holes you cut.
Pin.
Sew 1/4" from the top of purse, through the straps.

When you are done you will be able to flip the 3/4" section you ironed down along with the strap so the 3/4" seam is now inside the purse.
iron.
STEP #5 LINING
Lay your purse shell and lining next to each other.
Draw a line at the top of the lining piece (right sides together) so it is slightly shorter than the outside shell of the purse.
Fold on the line (so the line can't be seen) and iron.

Sew along sides of the lining
To this point you should have the outside of your purse, with the strap sewn and the inside lining.
STEP #6 LOOP CLOSURE AND LINING SEWN IN
Get your button and loop closure fabric out!
Sew your loop fabric in the same way you did your strap. Ironing long sides in a small amount and then iron in half.
Next iron your loop piece so it looks like picture below. No need to sew.
Next slip lining into outside purse shell. Note: wrong side of shell and wrong side of lining with match.
Place the loop piece at the back of the purse in between the lining and the shell. Use your button to determine the amount sticking out. see pic
Pin.
Pin lining the whole way around the purse.
Sew in the lining and the loop closure.
I suggest sewing on the inside of the purse.
Next, flip the loop closure over the top of the purse and use it to line up where your button will be.
Sew on the button.
Loop closed.
Viola!
Your purse in now complete.
I made this pattern myself so I have tweaked it, if you have any questions please e-mail me at vintagesheet (at) yahoo dot com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Michelle, I've read through it and I THINK I can do it. I think I will try and make a couple for Christmas gifts... Setting some time aside next week for this. Pictures to follow!! Thanks fellow sewer girl!
Shanee

Michelle said...

Shanee! I'm excited, let me know if you have any questions. I also plan to add a matching id holder. Have fun and don't worry if your first one (or two) are "rough" looking- have fun! -Michelle

Laura said...

This is really cute and a great way to use some fat quarters I've bought recently just b/c I like the fabric. Thanks!

Lenetta said...

Very cute! I linked to this on my roundup of favorite scrap buster projects. Thanks so much!!